The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
简介Leaders of the ruling People Power Party pledged Thursday to heed the voice of the people and come u ...
Leaders of the ruling People Power Party pledged Thursday to heed the voice of the people and come up with extraordinary measures to win back their trust after a crushing defeat in this week's by-election for chief of Seoul's Gangseo Ward office.
Jin Kyo-hoon of the main opposition Democratic Party won 56.52 percent of the vote against his People Power Party rival Kim Tae-woo's 39.37 percent in Wednesday's election seen as a test of voter sentiment ahead of next year's parliamentary elections.
The larger-than-expected margin of 17.15 percentage points was seen as a warning against the way the administration of President Yoon Suk Yeol handles state affairs and alarmed the ruling party at a time when April's general elections are only six months away.
"Our party has put forward our best efforts, with sincerity, but was unable to receive the choice of the Gangseo Ward residents," People Power Party leader Kim Gi-hyeon said in a party leadership meeting. "We will analyze the reasons for the defeat in a cool-headed manner and come up with extraordinary measures to win the general elections."
The People Power Party floor leader, Rep. Yun Jae-ok, vowed to put more effort into caring for people's livelihoods.
"We will analyze the election result and the various difficulties people are going through so as to make up the shortfalls in party policies and management and pour all our energy into the recovery of the economy and people's livelihoods," he said.
On Friday, the People Power Party plans to hold a meeting of its leadership to gather plans to improve the party's structure ahead of the upcoming general elections, said People Power Party's chief spokesperson, Rep. Kang Min-kuk.
Wednesday's by-election took place after Kim was removed from the top post of the ward office in May due to a suspended prison sentence for leaking secrets he gained while working for a special inspection team under former President Moon Jae-in. (Yonhap)
German Ambassador to Korea Georg Schmidt called for enhanced security cooperation, highlighting the ...
13일 김정은 북한 국무위원장과 블라디미르 푸틴 러시아 대통령의 회담에 대해 14일 북한 매체들은 “(단독 정상회담에서)만족한 합의와 견해 일치를 봤다”고 보도했다. 김정은이 푸틴 ...
이재명 더불어민주당 대표의 1년간에 걸친 ‘방탄 공성전(攻城戰)’은 결국 내부에서 무너졌다.국회는 21일 본회의에서 이 대표 체포동의안을 무기명 표결에 부쳐 찬성 149표, 반대 ...
'Do not open plane doors' warning mandated for planes in flight
FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
[이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
"KTX 꼭 타보고 싶다" 했던 김정은 "만족한 합의"…뭐길래
Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
[이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- Exhibition at holy site highlights Catholic presence in Korea
- [Our Museums] Ride through nation's train heritage at Korea Railroad Museum
- 12 suspected cases of lumpy skin disease in cattle under investigation
- Paris Baguette to expand into Middle East, Africa
- Seventeen 1st male group this year to top Melon Top 100
- Eugene Group wins bid to acquire news channel YTN
- Concerns grow over rise of fall webworm
- [New on scene] Lee Jun
- AmCham delegation to visit Washington this week
- Unification minister meets US civic group head to discuss NK human rights
- Kia to expand EV lineup with mass market appeal
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- P&G Korea launches premium diaper to combat skin dryness
- Political parties call for revision of military exemptions for athletes
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- Chinese avant
- Seoul shares dip 1 pct on Fed rate hike woes, won sharply slides
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- Striving to be the best, TXT returns with 3rd LP
- Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- Conflict between Fifty Fifty and agency Attrakt continues to escalate
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights