Team carries out Korea's first successful uterus transplant
简介Samsung Medical Center has carried out the first successful uterus transplantation in South Korea.Du ...
Samsung Medical Center has carried out the first successful uterus transplantation in South Korea.
During the surgery in January this year, the multidisciplinary team were able to transfer the uterus to a 35-year-old woman with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome.
MRKH is a rare disorder, which affects about 1 in 5,000 females at birth, characterized by an underdeveloped or absent uterus. A uterus transplant gives women without functioning wombs -- such as those with MRKH -- the opportunity to conceive children.
Prior to the successful operation, the patient had already undergone one failed transplant, removed only two weeks after the initial surgery. Fortunately, the medical team was able to carry out a second transplant in January 2023. With the patient having been in stable condition for over 10 months, Samsung Medical Center declared the operation successful.
For both the patient and the medical team, the surgery itself was only half of the battle. Although the outcome of the transplant is promising, the success of a uterus transplant is not only determined by the acceptance of the organ, but also the delivery of a healthy baby. As the transplanted womb seems to be functioning well, the team is hopeful of a healthy birth.
A uterus transplant is not intended to be permanent. After one or two pregnancies, the uterus is surgically removed again. This is done to avoid a life-long dependency on medication -- immunosuppressive drugs -- needed to prevent the body from rejecting the transplanted uterus.
Uterus transplants are still considered to be a fairly experimental surgery worldwide. The first successful womb transplant to result in the birth of a healthy baby was performed in Sweden in 2014. Medical teams in several other countries -- including the UK, Germany, and India -- have also carried out successful transplants.
Besides the uniqueness of the surgery, it is also a costly procedure that is not covered by National Health Insurance.
Nevertheless, for infertile women wishing to give birth to biological children, a uterus transplant is currently their only option, as childbirth through surrogacy -- a process where another person carries the pregnancy on behalf of the intended parent --is currently not recognized by South Korean law.
South Korea is set to make its final presentation for the 2030 World Expo host city bid in Paris on ...
방러 중인 김정은 북한 국무위원장을 수행하는 그의 여동생 김여정 노동당 부부장이 고가의 명품 브랜드로 추정되는 가방을 들고 있는 모습이 포착됐다. 북한은 현재 지속되는 식량난으로 ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 지난 16일 블라디보스토크 인근 크네비치 공군기지에서 미그(Mig)-31에 탐재되어 있는 극초음속 미사일 '킨잘'을 만져보는 모습. AFP, 연합뉴스17일 ...
LG Electronics CEO to present AI vision at CES
[Herald Interview] Song Joong
[Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS
Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- Weeekly invites listeners to enter universe where dreams come true
- Jungkook ties record for most Billboard Hot 100 hits as K
- On verge of closing, rural school tries to lure students with financial benefits
- Women’s stories continue to resonate with Korean viewers
- Memorial park for independence fighter to open in Kazakhstan
- [Today’s K
- AmCham reaffirms Korea
- Sombre palaces, tombs swathed in fall colors
- 악수 청한 윤 대통령에 김용민 “이제 그만두셔야죠”
- Posco secures W6tr supply deal from Lotte Energy Materials
- Kia unveils ‘tiger
- S. Korea's inflation grows faster, stays over 3 pct for third month in Oct.
- ‘It’s OK to put fried chicken, ramen on jesa table’
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate freeze
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- Asiana Airlines board to reconvene to vote on cargo biz sell
- Police turn to AI to predict crimes, drug tracking
- Israeli military jets strike Gaza, says Hamas commander killed
- Jungkook welcomes 'golden moment' of his life with 1st solo album
- Seoul shares shoot up nearly 2% on Fed's back
- [Today’s K
- PPP launches special committee on plan to include Gimpo into Seoul
- Biden picks top Asia aide as nominee for deputy secretary of state
- Supreme Court acquits ex
- 35 foreign individuals to be awarded for promoting Korean culture
- Yangjae Flower Festa kicks off Friday
- Exports log first rise in 13 months in sign of trade recovery for Korea
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- JCS says N. Korea might have provided Russia with short
- Jungkook, Red Velvet, Stray Kids, new YG girl group among year