[HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
简介Hundreds of students and industry insiders gathered at the 2023 Korea Herald Humanity In Tech Forum ...
Hundreds of students and industry insiders gathered at the 2023 Korea Herald Humanity In Tech Forum held at the Shilla Seoul to discuss the future of space exploration and its impact on humanity.
“My hobby is to write science fiction novels. I was inspired by the talks given by the speakers, especially the part where Yi Soyeon said, ‘Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot live in a cradle forever,’ quoting the Russian rocket scientist Konstatin Tsiolkovsky,” said Choi Da-bin, a neuroscience major at Ewha Woman's University.
“I hope to further develop my hobby through the lectures given today, especially as the leading sci-fi genre author Bae Myung-hoon gives a lecture today,” Choi said.
A large number of students joined the event, excited to meet Yi, Korea's one and only astronaut, in person.
“I have been interested in space since I was younger. There is just this inexplainable longing for space in me,” said Jang Myoung-shin, another student from Ewha Woman’s University majoring in mathematics education.
“It was an honor to meet Yi in-person today, whom I have known about since childhood. Her speech about appreciating reality was touching, and she is definitely a role model for me as a female astronaut,” she said.
After Yi wrapped up her speech, students like Jang lined up in front of the stage to take photos with her.
Students also asked questions about space and its relationship with humanity to Yi and Sasha Sagan -- another keynote speaker and daughter of the legendary US astronomer Carl Sagan -- during a Q&A session following a joint panel discussion between the two speakers.
An attendee asked what Sagan would like to see in the future of space travel, referring to the recent push for commercial space flights.
“The best case scenario would be everyone who wants the opportunity to go up and have a glimpse of the Earth comes back with a sense of gratitude and appreciation for our planet,” Sagan responded.
A student from Hongik University majoring in arts asked Yi whether people from unrelated fields can say they have an interest in space without much background knowledge.
“A person does not have to be good at soccer to like the sport -- and it's the same with space,” Yi said. “There are already plenty of experts in the engineering field that are interested in space. There should be more from other disciplines showing interest.”
South Korean liquor giant HiteJinro said Tuesday it is expanding its distribution network of soju pr ...
Korea's League of Legends team T1 has hoisted the Summoner’s Cup for the first time in seven years, ...
But from about a decade ago, a wind of change has swept through these spaces. Cemeteries and columba ...
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- [From the Scene] Hyundai Motor looks into future of auto production in Singapore
- S. Korea, Britain vow closer ties in nuclear energy sector
- Suneung might not see perfect scorer for first time in 13 years
- Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
- Korea, UK to adopt Downing Street Accord to elevate ties: presidential office
KT SAT to adopt Starlink for enhanced maritime internet
Democratic Party banners targeting young voters stir controversy
Korea, UK to adopt Downing Street Accord to elevate ties: presidential office
Prosecutors seek 30
"조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
S. Korea, Britain vow closer ties in nuclear energy sector
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- UAE President's Seoul visit postponed amid Middle East tensions
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
- 기세 올린 이재명 체제…이번엔 한동훈 겨냥 공세 집중
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- New US special envoy for N. Korean human rights issues takes office, plans to visit Seoul next week
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- [Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
- KFCC hosts UN conference for inclusive finance
- N.Korea blasts Yoon for denouncing military ties with Russia at UN
- Seoul shares tumble to 5
- [Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS
- [Feature] The rise and fall of terrestrial TV dramas
- Will Kep1er disband? Project group eyes extension with 'Magic Hour'
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- SK Earthon starts first independent oil production in South China Sea
- Court finds ban on leafleting into NK unconstitutional, ban on praise for NK constitutional
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- 여당, 총선변수에 고심…“쇄신한 민주당과 대결 준비해야”
- [KH Explains] Lotte goes all
- S. Korea to step up quarantine efforts against animal diseases
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company