SK Earthon starts first independent oil production in South China Sea
简介SK Earthon, a subsidiary of South Korean energy giant SK Innovation specializing in oil exploration ...
SK Earthon, a subsidiary of South Korean energy giant SK Innovation specializing in oil exploration and production, said Monday that it has commenced its first independent crude oil production in the Lufeng 12-3 oil field, part of Block 17/03 in the South China Sea, starting this September.
Located approximately 300 kilometers from Shenzhen, China, the oil field is projected to cater to over 1 percent of South Korea's daily oil consumption, with an output of around 29,500 barrels at its peak.
This marks the company's first successful oil yield from a concession it manages directly. SK Earthon manages every stage, from the preliminary seismic surveys to the eventual drilling and production, using its proprietary technology.
To combat the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the oil extraction phase, the firm has incorporated several eco-conscious measures in their production infrastructure. These include reusing waste heat from generator exhaust and utilizing electrified components.
The company is also exploring the idea of using vessels powered by liquefied natural gas and harnessing other renewable energy sources.
This project has gained traction with the support of the Korean government's energy financing program, which has been endorsing resource development projects since 1984. As oil production in this block begins, SK Earthon has pledged to repay the government's loan principal and interest. Subsequently, a portion of the profits will be remitted to the government for a specified period.
Founded in 2021, SK Earthon was conceived from SK Innovation to focus on petroleum development and eco-friendly pursuits. SK Innovation had initially ventured into overseas resource development in 1983 in Indonesia.
In 2015, the company became the first domestic private firm to engage in the offshore oil block business in the South China Sea by securing an exploration and production rights agreement with China National Offshore Oil Corporation, the state-owned offshore oil and gas producer.
Three years later in 2018, after conducting geological surveys, SK Earthon uncovered the presence of crude oil in Oil Block 17/03. This discovery led them through various developmental phases, such as evaluating the oil field and constructing the necessary facilities for production.
Currently, SK Earthon oversees 10 oil blocks and four LNG initiatives in eight countries, with a production rate of roughly 52,000 barrels of oil equivalent daily.
Leveraging their proficiency in exploration, the company is also carrying out its Carbon Capture and Storage initiative to discover carbon dioxide storage sites both domestically and internationally.
"As the pioneering South Korean private firm in overseas resource development since 1983, our 40 years of expertise have culminated in this autonomous crude oil production,” said SK Earthon CEO Myeong Seong.
South Korean liquor giant HiteJinro said Tuesday it is expanding its distribution network of soju pr ...
While a growing number of college students abroad want to learn about Korea thanks to the country’s ...
Korea's parental leave benefits average at 44.6 percent of actual wages, placing it near the bo ...
- Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- 'Do not open plane doors' warning mandated for planes in flight
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- 美 ICBM '미니트맨
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate freeze
- JCS says N. Korea might have provided Russia with short
- Exports log first rise in 13 months in sign of trade recovery for Korea
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- Suspension of ex
- KITA chief touts Ireland’s business
- 통일부 “남북 간 장기간 연락 중단 유감…정상화 촉구”
- Iraqi Kurdistan officials visit Korea to glean procurement expertise
- [KH Explains] Why Starbucks' new coupon policy is a big deal in Korea
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- LIG Nex1 seals global defense ties at Seoul ADEX 2023
- Posco International completes EV parts plant in Mexico
- Seoul shares end nearly 2% lower amid Middle East woes
- Seoul shares close nearly flat on US rate
- LG Energy Solution's new residential ESS to hit US market
- Muaz Razaq on being Muslim in South Korea
- SK chairman says agile responses needed in times of geopolitical strife
- Registration opens for offshore firms' FX trading
- Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
- 김의겸 "김혜경 법카 유용 의혹, 그 정도 사안은 영장 못 쳐"
- Samsung Biologics expansion ahead of schedule
- Hanmi Global to host forum on data center construction
- Coupang Play seeks turnaround with exclusive content
- KTO to offer weekend railroad travel packages through February
- 2023 Melon Music Awards to take place Dec. 2
- [Korean History] 2003, when Korean cinema was at its finest
- 이종석, 검수완박법엔 입법취소 의견…공수처법 위헌 입장
- D.O. of EXO to leave SM