Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
简介Science and ICT Minister Lee Jong-ho on Wednesday made congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s ...
Science and ICT Minister Lee Jong-ho on Wednesday made congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s Humanity in Tech Forum, vowing to take the lead in ushering in Korea’s new space economy.
“I give my sincere congratulations for The Korea Herald’s HIT Forum that discusses ‘space’ as its first topic for sharing vision on science and technology innovation,” said Lee in a pre-recorded video played during the forum held at the Shilla Seoul.
“It is a timely discussion following the people’s high expectations for Korea’s space industry, following the successful launch of homegrown Nuri rocket and the nation’s first lunar mission Danuri.”
Lee added the event is more meaningful because Oct. 11 happens to be the anniversary of when the first crewed flight Apollo 7 launched to space in 1968 and made live TV transmissions for the first time.
Despite the 30-year-long endeavor, a relatively short period of time to have embarked on a space development project, South Korea became the seventh country in the world to have developed and launched a satellite weighing 1 ton or more.
Lee stressed that the government is making efforts to further expand Korea's global presence in the space economy race. In May, the space agency signed a pact with the US’ NASA to bolster ties of the two countries’ cooperation in outer space. This comes after the November 2022 announcement of the future space economy road map, a blueprint for the nation’s space policy.
Under the space road map, the Science Ministry is pushing forward to set up a new space body called the Korea Aerospace Administration. Based on the partnership with the private sector, the agency is expected to become a control tower for the country’s aerospace sector.
Pledging to secure more advanced space development capability, Lee said, “We plan to develop a next generation projectile, following Nuri rocket, land on the moon and Mars by 2032 and 2045, respectively. By 2035, Korea will set up the large-scale satellite navigation system called the Korean Positioning System.”
Samsung Biologics said Tuesday that the company has signed five contract manufacturing deals to brin ...
South Korea has joined a key donor group of the International Committee of the Red Cross for the fir ...
North Korea threatened Friday to stage the "most powerful and rapid first strike" against US strateg ...
- LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- “가자주민 삶 최악…한국지원 절실”
- Samsung owns largest No. of Israeli subsidiaries among S. Korean conglomerates: report
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- Conflict between Fifty Fifty and agency Attrakt continues to escalate
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- [Today’s K
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
- Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- 2m Koreans opt out of life
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- Russian FM to visit Pyongyang next month as follow
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
- LG Chem pivots to LFP with Huayou for Morocco plant
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- BTS' Suga begins military service
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
- [Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
- Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive